Starting Up a New Chapter
STEP 1: WHERE DO I START?
- Review current Chapter locations to determine viability of a new chapter in your area
- Contact National office to assist with start-up procedures
- Review and understand the AAAA By-laws
- Understand what AAAA can do for you to enhance your recruitment (AAAA General Overview)
- Coordinate with interested colleagues to collectively identify a date/time group for first meeting and formulate ideas for chapter name and initial chapter officer slate.
STEP 2: HOW DO I PLAN MY FIRST MEETING?
- Determine location
- Recruit members from AAAA list, local dignitaries, veterans looking to get involved, local VFW's and separated or retired Aviation personnel. The minimum number of members for a chapter is 25.
- Work with the National Office to develop a meeting announcement, request chapter services, and invite an AAAA National Executive Group Officer
- Suggested agenda items include:
- Introductory remarks
- Pledge of allegiance/invocation
- Local senior leader remarks
- Voting process for new officers
- National Executive Group Officer remarks
- Announcement of results
- New leader comments
- Awards/prizes presented
- Pictures and documentation for record
- Submit minutes, Acceptance form pictures and election results to Deb@Quad-a.org
STEP 3: HOW CAN THE AAAA NATIONAL OFFICE ASSIST ME?
- Website assistance in developing your new Chapter
- Seed money and branded AAAA items may be requested prior to your first meeting
- Publicity through meeting notices, chapter e-blast and Army Aviation features
- Certificates of Appreciation are available for those instrumental in setting up your program
- National, Functional, Individual and Unit Awards are provided through the AAAA
- Monthly membership roster updates are emailed to the Chapter Officers
- AAAA will underwrite a speaker for your quarterly meetings
STEP 4: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO ESTABLISH FINANCIAL COMPLIANCE?
- Chapter must open a checking account and a P.O. Box
- Chapter officers must understand AAAA Compliance with IRS Regulations
- AAAA has outlined monthly and yearly financial procedures that must be followed
- Each chapter must submit to AAAA National on an annual basis a Chapter Compliance certificate
- A Chapter Fiscal Report will be emailed to chapter officers annually for revision and submittal
STEP 5: HOW DO I SUSTAIN A VIBRANT CHAPTER?
- Establish chapter by-laws that are unique to your chapter yet conform to AAAA national by-laws
- Ask National VP of Chapters to provide previous Chapter Activities report to identify best practices
- Review the Chapter Refund Program that generates funds for your chapter by holding meetings
- Recognize your Soldier and NCO of the Month with a free membership
- Sponsor one Junior Soldier to attend the AAAA National Professional Forum
- Recognize former chapter officers with lapel pins
- Use Chapter matching funds to create a Chapter Perpetual or Annual Scholarship
- Complete Meeting Notice 30 days prior to your chapter meeting date
- Complete Chapter Activities Report by January 1st